New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Thursday, July 21, 2011

strawberry lemonade

In a mad, desperate, last-ditch effort to use up all of our perishables before we head out to the great outdoors for a week, I went and bought a bunch of fruit. What?

I couldn't help it. I was driving past a farm stand on my way home from the beach, and the strawberries begged me to give them a decent place to live out their last days. So I bought a half-flat (see? Such restraint! Only a half-flat!)

I also happened to find a couple of bags of lemons in my hand as I handed over my hard-earned cash.

So what's a gal to do?



To quote the cute poster of a kitty-cat that hung in the nurse's office of my elementary school, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!" (What a kitty has to do with lemonade is beyond me as much today as it was back in second grade while I lay there waiting for my mother to come pick up my pukey self).

Regardless of kitties and posters and second grade, I am feeling quite well these days and thusly interested in enjoying myself. Plus, life (by which I mean my own consumerism) gave me lemons. And strawberries.

Ahhhhhh.


Strawberry lemonade

1 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about 5-6 lemons)
4-5 cups water
1-1 1/2 pints strawberries
1 cup sugar

First, rinse, and hull the strawberries. Place them in a blender with about a half cup of water and blend until pureed.

Mix the lemon juice, strawberry puree, sugar and water in a large pitcher with ice. Taste and add more water as desired.



If you choose, you can add a shot of vodka to each serving (or if this is going to be an adults-only treat, add a cup of vodka to the pitcher). It makes a lovely way to relax after a long day of relaxing at the beach.



This post is linked to Cast Party Wednesday.